Dr. Christoph Schmidt
Since 2014, I am a research scientist at the Fraunhofer IAIS group. I mainly do research in the field of automatic speech recognition and am currently working as the project leader of the WDR Audiomining integration project and the research project LiveCaption.
Before that, I worked as a work package leader in the AXES project.
From 2008 to 2014, I have been a PhD student and research assistant working with the Human Language Technology and Pattern Recognition Group at RWTH Aachen University. During my Ph.D. studies, I worked on the EU-funded STREP project SignSpeak which developed a prototype for continuous sign language recognition and translation. In the project, I mainly worked on the development and improvement of the translation system. For the French-German large-scale project Quaero, I worked on the patent translation task and took part in the evaluation campaigns NTCIR-9 and NTCIR-10.
In 2008, I received my Diploma degree from RWTH Aachen University, my thesis was titled "Extensions of the phrase-based translation model in statistical machine translation".
From 2001-2008, I studied computer science at the RWTH Aachen University with the main focus on natural language processing,pattern recognition and machine learning.
Publications at Fraunhofer IAIS:
- M. Stadtschnitzer, C. Schmidt, D. Stein. Towards a Localised German Automatic Speech Recognition. In ITG Conference on Speech Communication 2014, Erlangen, Germany, September 2014.
Publications at RWTH Aachen:
- J. Forster, C. Schmidt, O. Koller, M. Bellgardt, and H. Ney. Extensions of the Sign Language Recognition and Translation Corpus RWTH-PHOENIX-Weather. In International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), Reykjavik, Island, May 2014
- C. Schmidt, O. Koller, H. Ney, T. Hoyoux, and J. Piater. Using Viseme Recognition to Improve a Sign Language Translation System. In International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT), pages 197-203, Heidelberg, Germany, December 2013.
- C. Schmidt, O. Koller, H. Ney, T. Hoyoux, and J. Piater. Enhancing Gloss-Based Corpora with Facial Features Using Active Appearance Models. In International Symposium on Sign Language Translation and Avatar Technology (SLTAT), volume 2, number 1, Chicago, IL, USA, October 2013.
- S. Peitz, S. Mansour, J. Peter, C. Schmidt, J. Wuebker, M. Huck, M. Freitag, and H. Ney. The RWTH Aachen Machine Translation System for WMT 2013. In ACL 2013 Eighth Workshop on Statistical Machine Translation (WMT 2013), pages 193-199, Sofia, Bulgaria, August 2013.
- M. Feng, C. Schmidt, J. Wuebker, M. Freitag, and H. Ney. The RWTH Aachen System for NTCIR-10 PatentMT. In Proceedings of the 10th NTCIR Conference (NTCIR-10), pages 309-314, Tokyo, Japan, June 2013.
- D. Stein, C. Schmidt, and H. Ney. Analysis, preparation, and optimization of statistical sign language machine translation. Machine Translation, volume 26, number 4, pages 325-357, December 2012.
- J. Forster, C. Schmidt, T. Hoyoux, O. Koller, U. Zelle, J. Piater, and H. Ney. RWTH-PHOENIX-Weather: A Large Vocabulary Sign Language Recognition and Translation Corpus. In International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), Istanbul, Turkey, May 2012.
- J. Wuebker, M. Huck, S. Mansour, M. Freitag, M. Feng, S. Peitz, C. Schmidt, and H. Ney. The RWTH Aachen Machine Translation System for IWSLT 2011. In International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT), pages 106-113, San Francisco, CA, USA, December 2011.
- M. Feng, C. Schmidt, J. Wuebker, S. Peitz, M. Freitag, and H. Ney. The RWTH Aachen System for NTCIR-9 PatentMT. In Ninth NTCIR Workshop Meeting (NTCIR-9), pages 600-605, Tokyo, Japan, December 2011.
- M. Huck, J. Wuebker, C. Schmidt, M. Freitag, S. Peitz, D. Stein, A. Dagnelies, S. Mansour, G. Leusch, and H. Ney. The RWTH Aachen Machine Translation System for WMT 2011. In EMNLP 2011 Sixth Workshop on Statistical Machine Translation (WMT 2011), pages 405-412, Edinburgh, UK, July 2011.
- D. Stein, C. Schmidt, and H. Ney. Sign Language Machine Translation Overkill. In International Workshop on Spoken Language Translation (IWSLT), pages 337-344, Paris, France, December 2010.
- C. Schmidt, D. Vilar, and H. Ney. Using a Bilingual Context in Word-Based Statistical Machine Translation. In International Workshop on Pattern Recognition in Information Systems (PRIS), pages 144-153, Barcelona, Spain, June 2008.
Dr. Christoph Schmidt
Senior Research Scientist
Fraunhofer Institute Intelligent Analysis and Information Systems IAIS
53754 Sankt Augustin
phone +49 2241 14-2062
fax +49 2241 14-4-2062